Behavioral health is the scientific study of behaviors, emotions, and everything related to the mental well being of a person as well as their ability to function daily. Behavioral health and mental health are both the same, People who are struggling in their behavioral health are facing depression, anxiety, stress, relationship problems, addiction, grief, mood disorders, learning disability. Therapy, counseling, and medication are the treatments to manage behavioral health problems and with the help of counselors, therapists, life coaches, nurse practitioners or physicians.
Types of mental illness
- mood disorders
- anxiety disorders
- personality disorders
- psychotic disorders
- eating disorders
- trauma-related disorders
- substance abuse disorders
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
This is a condition that affects the person's ability to focus and control the reckless actions or the person may be overactive. This type of condition is most common in boys and study shows that males are more likely to have ADHD than females.
Emotional Behavioral Disorder
This type of condition restricts the ability of the person to fell happiness, emotional control and be attentive at school.
Symptoms of an emotional behavioral disorder include:
- Inappropriate actions or emotions under normal circumstances
- Learning difficulties that are not caused by another health factor
- Difficulty with interpersonal relationships, including relationships with teachers and peers
- A general feeling of unhappiness or depression
- Feelings of fear and anxiety related to personal or school matters
Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
This type of behavioral disorder is characterized by a child being hostile, irritable and uncooperative attitude, Children who have this kind of disorder are spiteful or annoying on purpose and they direct their negative actions at an authority figure.
This is a normal emotion, everybody feels anxiety at some point but for some, anxiety gets to the point where it interferes with their daily lives and causes insomnia, negative effects in performance as well as the work and studies. Anxiety disorder is a serious mental health condition that needs immediate medical attention.
types of mental conditions include:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
This type of condition is characterized by fears and unreasonable thoughts that will turn to obsessions and cause compulsion. People with OCD engage in compulsive, repetitive behavior even if they already know the negative outcome of the action. Doing things over and over again gives them temporary relief.
Causes a Behavioral Disorder
Some biological causes may include:
- Physical illness or disability
- Brain damage
- Hereditary factors
- Divorce or other emotional upset at home
- Coercion from parents
- Unhealthy or inconsistent discipline style
- Poor attitude toward education or schooling
Signs of a Behavioral Disorder
Signs of behavioral disorder vary from person to person and someone who has a behavioral disorder act and display emotional upset differently.
Emotional Symptoms of Behavioral Disorders
- Easily getting annoyed or nervous
- Often appearing angry
- Putting blame on others
- Refusing to follow rules or questioning authority
- Arguing and throwing temper tantrums
- Having difficulty in handling frustration
Physical Symptoms of Behavioral Disorders
- headache being absent
- substance abuse problem
- burnt fingertips
- bloodshot eyes